The Mission Viejo Dog Park will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday April 12th, 2014 from 9am to 12pm.
Check out the video showing construction in progress in the Dog Park update by Keith Rattay, Mission Viejo's Director of Public Services.
The Mission Viejo Dog Park is located at 25100 Felipe Road just south of Gilleran Park. The 6-acre park has 3 acres of slopes, 3 acres of usable area for dogs to run, and a parking lot.
The park consists of 3 dog play areas. The large area is 1.5 acres and the small area is .5 acres. The third area is .1 acres and is dedicated for single owner use. The park has a 40 car parking lot, a plaza for special events and a walking trail that takes advantage of the wonderful Arroyo views.
The dog park was designed to have a minimal impact on the environment. The gravel parking lot allows water to penetrate back into the ground rather than run off into the gutter and storm drain. The site also feature bioswale to slow the run off from the turf areas into a retention area, providing an opportunity for purifying the run off before it is collected and released into the adjacent arroyo.
Dog Park Rules, Regulations and Guidelines
- Park open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.. Park will be closed due to poor weather or as needed.
- Dog run areas may be closed due to maintenance from time to time.
- The park will be closed on Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. for weekly turf maintenance.
- Aggresive behavior by a dog(s), its owner or custodian.
- No food of any kind is allowed within the fenced confines of the park.
- Dogs that are pregnant, in heat, or that are lactating.
- Commercial usage of park such as professional dog training.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Abandonment of animals is prohibited and is punishable by law.
- Each owner may bring in up to three (3) dogs at any one time.
- Minors under the age of 13 without a parent or guardian.
- No puppies under the age of four (4) months.
General Rules and Regulations
- You are responsible for the actions of your dog(s). Use of this park is at your and your pet’s own risk.
- All dogs must be current on vaccinations, including rabies, and must be wearing a current dog tag.
- Dogs must be spayed or neutered (reduces dog altercations).
- The dog owner is responsible for the removal and proper disposal of all dog waste.
- All dogs must remain leashed in the parking lot, walking trail and event plaza. The dog owner shall maintain control of his/her dog(s) at all times.
- The single owner dog run is for use by a single owner or custodian. Please limit use of the single owner run to 30 minutes if other users are present and waiting.
- Dogs may not be left unattended.
- The dog owner or custodian will be responsible for any and all damages or injuries caused by his/her dog(s) to the park without limitations and not limited to infrastructure, fencing, turf, plantings and irrigation.
Violations may result in a citation issued by the City of Mission Viejo for non-compliance with the above Rules and Regulations. Any dog bites to a human should be reported immediately to the Mission Viejo Animal Services at 949-470-3045. Municipal Code Section 13.04.030 (c)(7) Mission Viejo Dog Park.