Summer Reading Program
Make reading your mission this summer! All ages are invited to join Mission Viejo Library’s Summer Reading Program, June 15 – July 31.
Readers can win prizes and attend special programs to celebrate reading and learning. Our librarians have designed a self-directed reading program for each age group to enjoy.
Babies and Toddlers
You’re never too young to enjoying reading! Our program for birth to 35 months aims to foster a love of literacy and build lifelong learning habits.
- Parents or caregivers, register your youngest readers in the children’s area of the library starting June 15th. Pick up a Babies and Toddlers game board filled with brain-building activities for your little one.
- Keep track of the reading, singing, bouncing and rhymes on the game board between June 15th and July 31st.
- Complete all the activities on the game board by July 31st to complete the program. Bring your completed game board to the children’s area of the library and pick up your prize: a brand-new board book of your choice!
This self-directed reading game is for kids ages 3 to 9! Here’s how it works:
- Sign up (or have a parent sign you up) in the children’s area of the library starting June 15th. When you sign up, you’ll receive a game board. You can also print your game board at home, start tracking your progress as of June 15th, and complete your program registration on your next visit to the library.
- Log the time you spend reading between June 15 – July 31. You can read on your own or have someone read to you. All types of reading counts toward this program: books, audiobooks, graphic novels, and magazines.
- For every three hours you spend reading, you’ll earn a prize! Come to the children’s area of the library with your game board showing your progress to redeem your prizes.
- After completing twelve hours of reading, you will receive a ticket to the grand prize drawing and an invitation to the Summer Reading Stars Celebration event.
New this year: a program just for that “in-between” age! 10 to 12-year-olds, this program is for you.
- Sign up (or have a parent sign you up) in the children’s area of the library starting June 15th. When you sign up, you’ll receive a pocket-sized game card.
- Log the time you spend reading between June 15 – July 31. Fill in one starfish on the card for every 20 minutes spent reading. Everything counts, including graphic novels, fiction, picture books-- whatever YOU love to read.
- For every three hours you spend reading, you’ll earn a fun, tween-only prize! Come to the children’s area of the library with your gamecard showing your progress to redeem your prizes.
- Once you’ve completed the full game card, you will receive a ticket for the grand prize raffle. You might win a one-month subscription crate full of books, science experiments, or other fun surprises!
If you’re between ages 13 and 17, you’ve probably got some assigned reading this summer. Make it count toward the library’s Summer Reading Program, and don’t forget to read for fun, too!
- Starting June 15th, come to the children’s area of the library to sign up for the program and collect your game card.
- Fill in a beach ball on the card for every 20 minutes spent reading.
- Free books are awarded to those who read 6 and 12 hours (while supplies last). Graphic novels, manga, and audiobooks all count towards the goal!
- Teens also earn a grand-prize raffle ticket for 3 hours of reading. Increase the chances of winning by submitting reviews to the Teen Summer Reading desk for each book read (1 review = 1 raffle ticket). These tickets will be entered into a drawing to win one of several exciting grand prizes.
We know you’re busy. But not too busy to read! There’s a streamlined summer reading program just for you, with weekly raffles that include things grownups really want, including Regal Theater movie tickets and Amazon gift cards.
- Starting June 15th, come to the Adult Reference Desk (aka “Ask Here” desk) or register by email at AdultSummerReading@cityofmisisonviejo.org. If using the email option, include name, phone number, email address and library card number.
- Every week, submit your weekly book entry at the Adult Reference Desk or by email to AdultSummerReading@cityofmissionviejo.org. You can enter one book per week until Wednesday, July 31, at library closing time 9:00 p.m. The drawing for the weekly prize will be on Wednesdays. After the weekly winner is chosen, all entries will be saved for the grand prize raffle.