Text + -

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is City Hall located?

Mission Viejo City Hall is located at 200 Civic Center in Mission Viejo next to the Library.  From the I-5 freeway from either Oso Parkway or the La Paz exit, go east to Marguerite Parkway. City Hall is on the corner of La Paz and Marguerite. View the map and driving instructions.

What are the hours of business for City Hall?

Mission Viejo City Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.

When was the City incorporated?

The City of Mission Viejo was incorporated on March 31, 1988.

When does the City Council meet?

The City Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month in the Council Chambers at 200 Civic Center.  The closed session portion of the meeting begins at 5 pm. The public portion of the meeting begins at 6 pm or soon thereafter. Agendas for council meetings are posted at City Hall on the Wednesday afternoon before each meeting.  For more information regarding council meetings or council members, check the events page.

When is the next election?

City elections take place in November of even numbered years. The next election is November of 2022.

Does the City have a charter?

No, the City does not have a charter. The City is a General Law City operating under the Council-Manager form of government.

Where is the Social Security office located?

The nearest Social Security Office is located at 26051 Acero, Mission Viejo, CA 92691. If you have a problem or a question, first try the toll free number at 800-772-1213 between the hours of 9 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday. 

Do I need a business license?

No. The City does not require a business license.  However, all new businesses are required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy permit from the City's Community Development Department. This ensures that your business is permitted to occupy a specific building and that the use complies with Building, Fire, Health, and Zoning code regulations. Depending on your particular situation, you may require other approvals or licenses from Community Development Department, Police Department, or other applicable public agency.  If your business operates out of a home, the City has "Home Occupation" standards to ensure their compatibility with the neighborhood. (See question regarding operating a business out of your home).

Can I run a business out of my home?

Yes.  A home-based business, commonly referred to as a "Home Occupation" business, is permitted when conducted as an incidental and accessory use to the residence. The resident typically conducts business by mail, phone, fax or computer. The City's zoning regulations outline several operating requirements for a home business, including: only the residents of the home may operate the business; the business shall be conducted only within the interior of the home; and the business shall not create any noise, traffic, or other impacts which disturb the surrounding neighbors.  For more information, please contact the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

Do I have any promotional opportunities for my business?

Yes. Temporary promotional signs on site in connection with the opening of a business, major remodeling under an active building permit, new owner of a business, closure of a business, or sale or special event at a business may be permitted with prior approval from the City’s Community Development Department. Such signs are limited to three (3) events and an aggregate maximum of 42 days per calendar year. The signs may be designed as banners or promotional posters. For more information, please contact a planner from the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

I want to hire a contractor, how do I check to see if he is licensed?

To check to see if a contractor is licensed, contact the California State License Board at 800-321-CSLB or visit the CSLB Website. Make sure to have the contractor's six-digit license number when you call. The automated phone response system needs the number in order to provide you with an answer to the contractor's license status.

How can I find out what is planned for a given piece of property in the City?

Contact the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

When does the Planning and Transportation Commission meet and how can I obtain an agenda?

The Planning and Transportation Commission meets on the 2nd Monday of every month at 6:30 pm in the Council Chamber. The City Council Chamber is located at City Hall, 200 Civic Center. You may stop by the Community Development Department to pick up a copy of the Planning and Transportation Commission Agenda. Also, a yearly subscription of the Planning and Transportation Commission agenda and minutes is available for purchase. If you wish to subscribe, use the Mission Viejo Newsletter link in the footer of the page or contact the City Clerk's Office at 949-470-3052.

For your convenience, the City provides Documents Online

How can I apply for a City commission, committee, or board?

There is a biennial recruitment period for City Commissions, Committees, and Boards. The recruitment period takes place toward the end of even-numbered years, approximately November or December. Contact the City Clerk at 949-470-3052 for further information. 

Application form

Who do I call to report graffiti?

To report graffiti, please call the Graffiti Hotline at 949-460-2924, use our Online Service Request system, or use the MV Life app to report issues. 

My street light is out. Who do I call for repairs?

All street lights along major arterials and in neighborhoods are owned and maintained by one of two utility companies, and street light repair is under the jurisdiction of the applicable utility company. Street light located at a traffic signal are owned and maintained by the City of Mission Viejo. To report a burned out street light:

  • Generally, if the street light is located north of La Paz Road, the utility company is Southern California Edison. Burned out street lights north of La Paz Road can be reported by calling the following phone number: SCE: 800-655-4555.
  • If the street light is located south of La Paz Road, the utility company is San Diego Gas and Electric. Burned out street lights south of La Paz Road can be reported by calling the following phone number: SDG&E: 800-411-7343.
  • If you are unsure about which utility company is responsible for street light repair, you can confirm the utility company by reviewing your monthly utility bill. You can also call the Public Services Department at 949-470-3064 and City staff can assist you.
  • If the street light is located at a signalized intersection, the City of Mission Viejo is responsible for repair. Burned out street lights at traffic signals can be reported by calling 949-470-3056 or on our Online Service Request system.

How often is my street swept?

Arterial streets are swept once a week. City-owned residential streets are swept every other week, with your street sweeping day generally following the day after trash collection day.

For a copy of the most current street sweeping calendar for your neighborhood, please call the Public Services Department at 949-470-3064, email publicservices@cityofmissionviejo.org, or fill out an online service request. We will send you a copy of an Operation Clean Street street sweeping calendar that outlines all the days of street sweeping in your neighborhood. We will also send you an Operation Clean Street magnet that you can post on your refrigerator door.

Read more information about Operation Clean Street and homeowner tips for keeping our neighborhood streets clean to protect our local creek and ocean resources.

Where can I dispose of household hazardous materials?

Mission Viejo residents have two ways to safely and properly dispose of household hazardous waste.

Submit Request for Community Sign (Corner of La Paz/Marguerite)

The City welcomes news and information from Mission Viejo non-profit organizations for consideration of posting on the electronic sign at the corner of La Paz and Marguerite.  Complete the online request form for your request to be considered for posting on the sign.