Text + -

Seniors can Obtain COVID-19 Vaccine by Appointment Only Through County’s App

man getting vaccine

Residents 65 and older are now eligible to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with an appointment through the County of Orange’s vaccine and management app.

To register to be notified when the County’s app “Othena” has appointments available, visit https://othena.com/individuals.php

According to the County, the success of its phased, tiered vaccination plan depends on everyone being patient and allowing priority groups to be vaccinated first.

“Overwhelming the appointment system will make it even more challenging to dispense the limited supply of vaccine currently available,” the County said in a press release.

As the vaccine becomes more plentiful, additional appointments will become available, and eligibility will expand to other groups. To learn more about the County’s phased distribution plan, visit www.COVIDVaccineFacts.com. Information is also available by contacting the County’s COVID-19 Hotline at 714-834-2000 or via email at ETeam@ochca.com

Comments

Submitted by Mary D. Knott on Wed, 01/13/2021 - 7:16 pm

I would like to make an appointment for the vaccine at the Fire Station on Gothard St. in Huntington Beach, CA
I am 85 yrs old.
Please e-mail me for an appointment. Thanks

Submitted by Ronald SprinkleI on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 1:38 pm

I am 78 and signed up on Othena as soon 75 and over was declared eligible. Every time I sign in the message says I will be notified as soon as I am eligible. This doesn't make any sense. How can I make an appointment?

Submitted by City Staff on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 4:59 pm

Thank you for your comments. The countywide COVID-19 vaccination program is being managed by the County of Orange Health Care Agency and vaccinations scheduled through the Othena app (https://othena.com/individuals.php). We understand that some users have reported issues and/or delays with the system, but if you discover that to be the case you may wish to try again as most have indicated that the app is scheduling as per the phased program.

Additional information on vaccines through the County program can be found here: https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/covid-19-vaccination-distribution. Information is also available by contacting the County’s COVID-19 Hotline at 714-834-2000 or via email at ETeam@ochca.com.

Submitted by Patricia Piecuch on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 6:10 pm

I am 79 and my husband is 82. We would like to get the COVID-19 shot in either Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, or Irvine.

We don't want to venture far to get the shot.

Patricia Piecuch

Submitted by Lydia Kay stevens on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 6:17 pm

79 with health issues and I can’t get an appointment. I think Othena website is horrid and any medical office including public medical department, have no helpful information or their lines are continuously busy. How can 65 year old people be ahead of 70s and 80s???? What a mess California has become. With months to plan, the result is disappointing and chaotic.

Submitted by patricia traettino on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 7:00 pm

I have tried for 2 days now to schedule an appointment. What is the wait time for a response? I'd like to know if my info and vaccine requests have been received,. About how long are people waiting for responses? I am 79.

Submitted by Shirley Garcia on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 7:10 pm

Is there any place in South Orange County to get vaccinated. At 79 I prefer not to drive all the way to Disneyland.

Submitted by Odalys Farran on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 7:11 pm

I would like to make an appointment for my 87 y.o father anywhere in Orange County. He doesn't have an email account therefore I'm using mine, which is already registered under my name. Please send me information on availability. Thank you in advance for your help!

Submitted by Opie on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 7:27 pm

People, you need to download the app or have someone do it for you. Then you fill in all the needed information, nothing major. Unfortunately the system is down or overwhelmed, because it’s not assigning appointments. Currently it looks like Disneyland is the only open site, but fully booked.

Submitted by Joy Adams on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 8:21 pm

I tried to book an appointment on many dates, but could not because no locations would come up to choose.

Submitted by Philippe Tusler on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 9:12 pm

I registered with Othena, but it won't let me log in now. If I try to register again, it says there's already a user with my email. If I try to reset my password, it never sends me an email.
Othena seems to be very defective at this time.
Also, My wife and I wanted to register but it won't let you use the same email for two registrations, so we had to create a new email account.

Submitted by Sandra A. on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 9:50 pm

I took my husband to have his first Covid vaccine today at Disney parking lot in Anaheim. He was given a card which indicates he had his first vaccination and that he needs to return on 2/11/21 (w/in a six day window) for his second vaccination. When I go on Othena website and log in as a returning patient it does not offer a screen to schedule a second appt.

Does anyone know how to schedule a second appointment?

Submitted by Lisa Richmond on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 10:25 pm

Yes i have tried since the 12th to get my folks appointments and have heard nothing and I checl contonuously. My 86 yr old dad who has many risk factors and was hospitalized a week at christmas and my 79 yr. Old mom with heart disease and diabetes etc. PLEASE OFFER US more info on how and where we can get these seniors vaccinated.

Submitted by Tom D on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 11:33 pm

The system is overwhelmed. It repeats the last paragraph in this article and then does not offer any ampointi times. Futile.

Submitted by Janet Wells on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 11:48 pm

I was able to register myself, but I can't seem to get the necessary for my husband.

How do I register him on my computer?

Submitted by Regina Pacheco on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 6:31 am

The people that have underlining conditions such a pulmonary diseases should be on the list for vaccines, since they are high risk.

Submitted by Edna Baker on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 7:15 am

Just went on Othena but no dates, etc were shown. How can I get an appointment for the vaccine? I am 84 and am eligible. thank you.

Submitted by Robert Stalter on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 9:39 am

Why don't you publish a daily update to all people who anxiously await some awareness of the status of the vaccine distribution? It would calm the people wanting to receive their shots.

Submitted by John Bell on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 12:01 pm

I am 73 years old. I recently received my second Shingles vaccine. Is it safe to get the Covid vaccine or is there a an amount of time I need to take before I get the Covid vaccine.

Submitted by Bill Woolley on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 1:16 pm

You should check with whoever administered the Shingles vaccine. I had my first Shingles vaccine last Tuesday by a Walgreens pharmacist. She said I should wait at least two weeks before getting the COVID vaccine.

Submitted by Fred-otto egeler on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 1:24 pm

I have been unable the website.
I'm 82 and wife is 80.
We live in mission Viejo and would like the closet point to make appts.

Submitted by patrick malloy on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 3:06 pm

I too don't want to/can't drive all the way to disneyland. When are they going to open up vaccination sites in south orange county?

Submitted by Priscilla Beissel on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 4:26 pm

Tried for 4 days to register on Othena for an appointment for the vaccine. It states Experiencing large volume every time.

Submitted by Richard Beissel on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 4:28 pm

I am 78 years old with major health problems. Have tried many times to register on Othena; however, it is overloaded and experiencing difficulty.

Submitted by Larisa Shatalova on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 5:31 pm

According to California Vaccination Plan after Phase 1A there must be Phase 1B, which includes not only individuals 65 and older but also those at risk of exposure including Food and agriculture.

Our business is dedicated as a restaurant - essential business. We were not closed during lockdowns, playing important role in the county, the state and the local community.

On 12 January Orange County Health Care agency, where both our Baskin Robbins stores are located, published press release, which states that vaccination extended to all individuals who are 65+.

The same Press Release states:

1. Older adults have dramatically higher death rates in OC;

2. Deaths to older adults from COVID-19 have increased dramatically since November, exceeding those in July and August;

3. Currently, 54% of persons hospitalized for COVID-19 are over age 60; 72% of patients in the ICU and 72% of patients on ventilators are over age 60;

I am 62 years old, my husband is 64. We both work in Baskin Robbins stores every day. According to original Vaccination Plan, we must be in Phase 1B together with 65+ individuals. However, it looks like this is not the case now in Orange County.

We also tried to follow OC Health Care Agency advice and register on Othena website. We managed to register only my husband, probably because he will become 65 this year. My registration does now complete, however, OC Health Care Agency Press Release dated 12 January 2020 urges ALL residents, not particular group of residents , to register on Othena website.

Submitted by Sharon Hoting on Sat, 01/16/2021 - 12:10 pm

Like others, when I tried to reset my password, Othena flashed a message saying an email was being sent to do the reset. My email never came. I tried several times on both the app and the internet. I also sent a message to Othena asking for their help, and Othena did not respond to my message.

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
CAPTCHA This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.