Marines and Sailors Adoption Committee
The Mission Viejo City Council on March 20, 2006 formally adopted the Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division from Camp Pendleton to support the Marines and their families. Shortly after, the volunteer Mission Viejo Marines and Sailors Adoption Committee was formed.
The Committee joins forces with the Mission Viejo Community Foundation, City of Mission Viejo, local residents, organizations and businesses to provide year-round support to Mission Viejo's Marines and Sailors. Volunteers work to positively impact the lives of the brave men and women who protect our freedoms.
Marines & Sailors of the Headquarters Battalion
Headquarters Battalion provides command, control, administration and logistics for the 1st Marine Division. It consists of five companies: Communications Co, Headquarters Co and Truck Co. The Headquarters Battalion dates to December 23, 1913 when it was activated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Battalion includes about 1,300 Marines and Sailors.
Supporting Our Adopted Troops
Our citizen-run adoption committee supports members of the Headquarters Battalion and their families by sponsoring ongoing programs such as:
- Sending weekly care packages to deployed troops.
- Annual Marine benefit Golf Tournament. See this Brochure or visit Tee it Up Fore Marines Website.
- Coordinating an annual “Day at Lake Mission Viejo” for Marines and their families.
- Subsidizing the cost for entry-level Marines to attend the annual Marine Corps Ball.
- Collecting gowns and suits/tuxedos for Marines and spouses to wear at the annual Marine Corps Ball. Formal Attire Donation flyer.
- Visiting Marines at the Wounded Warrior barracks.
- Distributing toys to the children of our Marines during the holidays. See Holiday Toy flyer for more information.
- Providing emergency monetary or supply assistance to Marines and their families.
- Providing baskets filled with goodies for newborns and expectant families. See Baby Basket Donation flyer for more information.
- Presenting quarterly recognition to outstanding Marines.
For more information, call 949-470-3061.
How You Can Be Involved
Committee volunteers raise money through T-shirt, cap and coin sales; an annual golf tournament; barbecue country dance; and through community special events.
The Committee actively seeks donations for baby shower baskets and deployed personnel care packages. Donation drop-off boxes are located year-round at the Library, City Hall and Norman P. Murray Community and Senior Center.
You can make financial contributions by mailing your check payable to the Mission Viejo Community Foundation to:
Mission Viejo Community Foundation
A non-profit 501(c)(3) organization
200 Civic Center
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Attn: Marines and Sailors Adoption Committee
For more information, contact RCS@cityofmissionviejo.org or 949-470-3061.