Mission Viejo Poetry + Art Collaborative
Creativity builds community. The Mission Viejo Poetry + Art Collaborative seeks to bring people together to collaborate in expressing themselves through poetry and art. Participants make community connections, unite through mutual artistic endeavors, and highlight the value of creativity in everyday life.
How it works
Community members aged 10 and older are invited to participate by submitting their original poetry or artwork.
- Step 1: Poetry participants submit 1 – 3 original poems on a topic of their choosing.
- Step 2: Visual artist participants will be given up to 3 poems authored by one of the Poetry participants. The artist will choose one poem and create a piece of visual art inspired by that poem.
- Step 3: This creative collaboration will culminate in June with a gallery exhibit at the library to showcase the poems and artwork produced for this project. The library will host an exhibit reception where participants can meet the artist or poet their work was paired with.
- Step 4: Selected poems will be featured on outdoor installations on sidewalks and trails around the City.
- April 7, 2023: Poetry submissions due by 5 pm.
- May 19, 2023: Visual art submissions due by 5 pm.
- June 23, 2023: Exhibit reception at the Mission Viejo Library, 6 – 8 pm.
- Participants must be aged 10 and older.
- Poems and art must be your own original work.
- Content must be suitable for a general audience.
- Artwork can be in any media and must fit within these dimensions:
- 2-dimensional pieces: maximum of 48 x 48 inches.
- 3-dimensional pieces: maximum of 15 x 15 inches.
Submit your poems no later than April 7, 2023.
Register as a visual artist. Your poem/s will be assigned to you by April 14, 2023. Deadline to submit your art piece to the Mission Viejo Library is May 19, 2023.
This project is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.