Donate or Volunteer to help those in need during COVID-19 crisis
With the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, donations and volunteers are sought to help others during these difficult times. Here are some ways you can make a difference.
Donate Protective Medical Supplies:
Faced with a supply shortage of protective gear at Mission Hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic, nurse Jill Brubaker and her family started a grassroots mission to produce protective face shields to protect caregivers. You can donate to the cause at this link.
The Orange County Health Care Agency (HCA) is now accepting donations of protective equipment and supplies for healthcare providers throughout the county. Right now, HCA is only accepting donations from corporations and businesses. These supplies will be accepted (only) in new and unopened containers and boxes:
- N-95, surgical masks and face shields (all sizes)
- Disposable gloves (all sizes)
- Eye protection
- Medical gowns: Disposable gowns and isolation gowns
- Antibacterial and disinfecting wipes
Businesses interested in donating can call the County Public Information Hotline at 714-628-7085.
Emergency Volunteer Center: Nonprofits are on the front lines of the COVID-19 battle and need volunteers who can virtually or physically provide vital assistance. To support these activities, the County activated its virtual Emergency Volunteer Center managed by OneOC. To volunteer, visit this link.
Volunteer for a Food Bank or Pantry: Many food banks need healthy volunteers to help pack, sort and distribute food for all ages. They are taking precautions to prioritize volunteer safety.
- Saddleback Church – Needs food pantry assistance and food rescue drivers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Second Harvest Food Bank – Requests food box delivery and food distribution assistance. Contact 949-208-3176 or 3178 for information.
- OC Food Bank – Community Action Partnership – In need of volunteers to pack food boxes and distribute food.
- Orange County Rescue Mission is seeking donations of new unopened and unused items including baby formula, diapers, baby and adult wipes, adult nutrition shakes, protein bars and grocery gift cards.
Assist Local Seniors – Age Well Senior Services needs assistance assembling meals for seniors. Call 949-855-9766 to help.
Donate Blood: Blood supplies are critically low during this pandemic. You can help by donating blood at the upcoming March 28 Blood Drive in Mission Viejo and at future Red Cross events. Visit www.redcrossblood.org.
I have about 50 boxes of 100qty medium unopened disposable gloves but no where on the website can you donate them. All the donation links only take you to a money donation. Unfortunately they really don't want supplies only money.
Are they currently looking for volunteers at the animal shelter?
Thank you for inquiring about volunteering at our animal shelter. Most of the animals are in foster care (in homes) right now so our volunteer program is currently on hold. If you would still like to volunteer in a few weeks, please check back in mid-April. You can reach out to the shelter directly at (949) 470-3045 or email@example.com.
Mr. Carrico, city staff have sent you an email and will work with you to try and find an organization or entity that can use the gloves. Thank you.
If still there is a need for face shields, I have a laser machine and can produce it from a PET sheet.
I have a group of Girl Scouts (ages 14-17) looking to volunteer this summer. Do you have any opportunities for them?