Text + -

Animal Services FAQ

Apply/Get a pet license?

Pet License applications may be downloaded and printed from our website and mailed in with the required documents or brought in person to the office during business hours.

Renew my pet license?

License renewals are available online (you will need your pet's license number and your Person ID number), by phone (with a Visa or MasterCard) or by mail.

Get a replacement license tag?

Replacement tags are available for $4 and may be purchased at the shelter or by phone (using a Visa or MasterCard).

Apply for a rabies deferment?

Rabies Deferment Applications are available to download and print directly from our website. Once completed, they must either be faxed or e-mailed to our department, along with a maximum of five pages of medical records from your vet, supporting the need for the deferment.

File a nuisance complaint?

First time nuisance complaints may be filed on our website using our online form. Complaints may also be made by phone during business hours. The defendant and complainant addresses are both required.

Report a dog off leash?

All dogs must remain on a leash, six feet or less in length, when on public property. Off leash dog complaints may be filed by phone during business hours. The Defendant's address is required to file a complaint. Off leash dogs in parks may be reported by phone for park patrol requests.

Report a stray dog?

Loose or stray dogs should be reported immediately by phone for officer dispatch. Please remember to stay out of traffic if you see a loose dog.

Report a deceased animal?

Deceased animals may be reported by phone for officer pick up. If a pet has passed away, pick up or drop off options are available for disposal.

Report a bite?

Bites should be reported immediately. Please contact our office to report a bite from an animal to a human.

Report a coyote in my neighborhood?

Coyote sightings are monitored and should always be reported to our office. If your animal has had direct contact with a coyote, please report it immediately. Coyote hazing information is available.


Volunteer applications are available in our front office. Once your application has been submitted, our volunteer coordinator will follow up regarding potential opportunities.

Adopt a shelter animal?

Adoptions are done by application. Once you find the pet that you would like to adopt, complete an application (available in the front office), and a member of the adoption committee will review your application.

Find my lost pet?

Check our website frequently under the "Find A Lost Pet" tab and make sure to call us to report your missing pet. Supply a photo, via e-mail,  if possible. If your pet is microchipped, the microchip company should be contacted immediately.

Claim my lost pet?

If your pet has been impounded, notify our office immediately. You must provide proof of ownership for redemption. Impound fees are applicable.

Relinquish my pet?

Relinquishment applications are only available at the front desk. A copy of your driver's license is required. If applying to relinquish a dog, the rabies vaccine and license must be current. Only applications from residents of our five cities will be considered to relinquish a cat. Relinquishment fees range from $25-$100.

Make a donation?

Please refer to our Donation Wish List for the items that the shelter can accept. 


Bikeway Survey

The City of Mission Viejo is developing a Bikeway Master Plan to improve the cycling experience in our community and encourage more people to enjoy riding their bicycles. We are currently in the process of gathering information to understand current cycling trends and preferences in the City.

As part of this effort, beginning on November 8th and running through December 7th, we are seeking resident feedback via a short, online survey. The survey will be available on our website, in our newsletter, and via our social media sites. 

The online survey is available at https://tinyurl.com/missionviejobike, and those who participate will qualify for a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card.

Mission Viejo Bikeway