The Mission Viejo Library offers a wide range of materials, programs and services for our youngest patrons. From early literacy storytimes to after-school clubs and family programs, there’s something for every young person, along with their parents and caregivers. Friendly, expert staff are on site to welcome children and families and help you with reading resources, homework research, fun family activities and more. Follow the links below for more details:
Early Childhood Programs
The Mission Viejo Library offers early literacy storytimes for children aged 6 months through 6 years. Attendance is on a first-come, first-served basis and limited to 25 children per storytime. To ensure your spot, come to the Children’s desk before storytime begins and pick up a teddy bear ticket.
See our storytime and event schedule here.
Programs for Elementary School Children
• Homework Help - Every Wednesday afternoon during the school year, volunteer tutors assist students in grades 2 – 6 with their homework.
• After-school Club - Weekly crafts and activities for elementary school students in grades K-5. Kids are invited to explore their creativity at this fun drop-off program with a different focus each week, rotating between art, brick building, science, and a book discussion group. Attendance is limited, so please sign up early. Call the Children’s desk at 949-830-7100 ext. 5107 to register.
Mondays, 3:15-4:30 pm, Friends Storytime Room
• PAW Readathon - Readers 7 to 12 years old are invited to join us at our monthly PAW Readathon to read to Roxy, a trained therapy dog. Each reader picks out a short book or chapter to read aloud; many enjoy sitting with Roxy on the floor, petting her while reading. Held in a small group setting, young readers benefit from increased time reading aloud, increased reading confidence and Roxy’s friendly presence. Attendance is limited, so please sign up early. Call the Children’s desk at 949-830-7100 ext. 5107 to register.
One Saturday per month, Wickiup Room
Check our program calendar for more!
Storytime in a Bag
Parents and care givers, visit our online catalog to check out our Storytime in a Bag collection! Mission Viejo Library has more than 20 storytime bags available to check out and use for your own storytime at home, or anywhere.
Each bag includes:
- a pre-school level book
- a puppet
- a CD with themed music
- a craft sample with directions on how to make the craft
Kids’ Book Club Kits
Encourage your child to make reading a social experience! The Library offers several Kids’ Book Club Kits aimed at readers 8-12. Kits check out for 42 days and include everything you need to host a successful book club for elementary school aged children.
- 10 copies of a book
- discussion questions
- book reviews and author information
- instructions for crafts and activities to enhance the reading experience
Beanstack and 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Get personalized book recommendation for your young reader in a weekly email, log the books they’re reading, and participate in reading programs that keep kids motivated. Beanstack is the host site for the library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, which fosters a love of reading in a child’s first 5 years. Visit Beanstack.
Novelist K-8 Plus
Find your next favorite read based on books and authors you’ve already enjoyed. Visit Novelist.
The Library is a Family Place
The Mission Viejo Library has been a host to the nationally acclaimed Family Place Library Program since 2009.
Family Place Libraries provide a center for early childhood information, parent education, emergent literacy and socialization and family support. The Family Place Library builds on the knowledge that good health, early learning, parental involvement and supportive communities play a critical role in young children’s growth and development.